Re: New list? Was Re: [TCML] Threadkill -- RQ Non-coiling stuff

At 08:55 PM 2/2/08 -0700, you wrote:

Hello Group,

Obviously, Tesla coils do not build themselves. If we, as builders, were robots,
the odds are we would know all there was to know about construction techniques,
materials, design, electrical calculation, and there would be no theory.

As human beings building Tesla coils, no one of us knows it all, or can do it all. This is why I personally value this list as much as I do. My lack of expertise and experience is compensated for by the information provided by those who have gone
before me.

At the risk of exaggeration, lets say that a thread developed on building capacitors and container construction came up, or that the thread was about building the chassis upon which to build a coil. It could be argued, if the materials included wood, that
the thread was off topic and should be in a carpentry forum instead.

There are highly educated coilers, and those not so much so. There affluent coilers, with big shops, nice machine tools, and the ability to buy anything, and there are those
of us who must scrounge and cobble in all aspects of coil building.

My point is, that as a diverse group, each of us is a unique individual and each faces unique challenges in his or her endeavors into coil building. If the challenge is where to setup and run a large coil on a small property with a limited budget, or a spouse who doesn't approve, or the consequences of running the coil or defying the spouse, I personally would welcome a sub-forum, or other alternative, for just such issues.

Chip does an excellent job of moderating the list; I am certain that some of his judgement calls
are difficult, indeed.

I, like everyone else, have opinions, and no offense is intended.

Sincerely,
Marko

This being a meta-thread, I thought I'd approve it and follow up with my
comments.

I could start another unmoderated free-for-all list if there's enough
interest.  At the moment I don't have any opinion either way as long as it
doesn't suck up network bandwidth.

I'll think about it a little bit but in the mean time comments are
welcome.

Chip