Re: [TCML] Beginner Transformer Question

The PT will offer much better performance.  The difference between 7.2 kV
and 12 kV is minimal when you consider the much more powerful sec currents
available.  Caps love a lot of current which gives a high kVA power level
into the pri.  The PTs will take the abuse but be sure to use a good RF
filter on the secondary side and also RFI filters on the primary side.

You could even run a pair of separate 120 vac circuits with a ballast in
each circuit.  Then you can parallel them at the 120 V xmfr pri and draw
approx 16-18 Amps on each circuit.  This will give you approx 3.8 - 4.0
kVA which will translate into very powerful sparks off your sec coil.  Use
JAVATC to do the complete design.  At this power level I would consider a
8 to 12 inch dia. coilform x 4-5 feet long, and a nice 24 x 6 inch toroid.
 A .05 to .07 uF cap would work well at this power level with a non-sync
rotary sparkgap, 10 electrodes at 1725 rpm or use a belt drive to adjust
and experiment with different break rates to see which one works best on
your coil.

Dr. Resonance

> I hope this isn't too basic a question. I have a 12kV/60mA NST that I will
> build my first coil with. I'm looking down the road a bit and am trying to
> decide whether to take advantage of an opportunity at hand. I have a
> chance
> now to acquire a GE potential transformer 7200v @ 1.5KVA.  I know this has
> twice the VA capacity of my NST, but what effect will the reduced voltage
> have on coil performance?  I am also aware of the ballasting and added
> precautions associated with this type of non current limited transformer.
> Thanks.
>

> Ken

Dr. Resonance