[TCML] LTR/STR

Hi all,
How does one go about determining whether or not their cap bank is LTR, STR, or? From what I understand about it, if it's at line resonance, the smoke and/or resulting fire would let you know. :) I'm fairly sure that my current coil is safe, it's 4" secondary, single static gap, 4nf capacitance, and powered by 15kv/60ma nst. I'm looking to downsize though to a small, small tabletop coil, probably driven by a mot. I've got basic meters but no scope, and if it involves any type of math formulas, I ask that you utilize the k.i.s.s. principle with your explanation!

Thanks for your help,

Neal N.