RE: [TCML] RE: musing on lists ( Wireless Transmission Theory)

Bill -

Exactly!  It takes a lot of rereading and even more experimentation to try and get it right.

When you go back, way back, to the 1890s, to the few people that witnessed Tesla firsthand - and then went off to write their own Tesla articles - [for example, Hugo Gersback] -
"By further increasing the amperage, and by separating the discharging rods but little, we obtain a peculiar spark discharge composed of extremely thin, blinding, white threads enclosed in a large flame or spray (Fig 6).  This discharge is the most beautiful; it can be further intensified by using a strong air current trained against the spray.  Sparks can be made to fly off similar to those produced by sharpening a metal tool on a grindstone..."http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/TeslaArchive/ExperimentsWithTheTeslaCoil/index.htm

The whole grinding stone sparks concept has really got me going.  I HAVE to try it!  I've used compressed air against a real hot discharge once with some odd success, but never got the "grinding stone sparks"...?
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/250WT/index.htm

Some people will have no interest in such lecture experiments, and then are some of us will burn the house down at 3am trying to reproduce it before we have to wake up at 5am to feed the cat, only to pass out at 4:47 still trying.  I know that routine a little too well!

One thing I've noticed recently:  These experiments work better with potential transformers that aren't current limited.  The resistance or reactance coils in series with these transformers (combined with an adjustable cap in small increments) seem to make the output of the coil change to more marked degree than using a neon transformer and trying to simply manipulate the gap and primary tap...the hard part is finding the reactance coils and potential transformers.

Jeff