Re: [TCML] Looking for a transformer, 30kV - 50kV

Hi, Jeff!

An anode supply transformer (radiological trade talk='generator') salvaged from
a mammography system would seem to meet your requirements to the proverbial
'tee' --- Such devices are notably 'EMF agile (i.e. core saturation/lossiness
not an issue)  from typically 35 kVP through 55 kVP (~25 kV RMS thru ~46 kV
RMS) --- A few considerations though;

1) The available current will (in most instances) be considerably greater (150
mA to 600 mA) -- If this is a problem merely place an appropriate 'ballast
inductance' in series with the primary.

2) Such transformers must be operated under dielectric oil (Radiographic devices
seldom employed chlorinated compounds -- moreover any device manufactured
subsequent to July 3 1979 has the EPA's automatic blessing :)

3) It is advisable to remove the rectifiers (no great feat however it is
imperative that reinstillation of the oil is preformed in such a manner that
formation of air bubbles/pockets is avoided --- IMO It is advisable, when the
existing oil must be drained, to replace it with new  ("Shell DIALA AX" being my
preference). As you are no-doubt aware, where high EMFs are concerned,
cleanliness is everything!!! :)

Note: it is important that you locate a mammography transformer -- other
(medical) x-ray devices use much higher EMF's (80 -- 150+ kVP).  As non--medical
technologies go diffractometry uses relatively low energy (not to be confused
with power!) systems -- worth a look if the opportunity presents itself...

Hope to have been of some assistance
Best regards
Dan