Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi DC,

Well then, got any specs on the coil it ran on? If so, please send (off list is fine). I agree on the field control if comparing to a single sphere. However, Terry's Piranha coil and David's specs are pretty good examples of how to attain nice field control with sphere's. Looking at David's data, his coil is heavily top loaded. That's pretty cool! I think sphere's in this type of configuration may offer slightly more topC than a toroid of same minor and major dimensions. I guess it's the full sphere surface area versus the toroid surface area. Kind of caught me off guard. I had to get to a 9"x32" toroid to match his assumed frequency with the sphere's (assuming the cap really was .028uF).

I imagine the price between the two is similar (not sure). If the 4 sphere configuration is lower cost, it might make for a low cost polished top load with good field control like a toroid.

Take care,
Bart

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Years ago, I used a 30 inch dia. alum. sphere on one of my coils.  Seems
to work fine but a toroid does offer better electrostatic field control.

Dr. Resonance

Thanks Gary. Maybe Mr. Weaver is the man!
Thanks
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
Nope, it wasn't me.  But Gary Weaver comes to mind.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA