Re: [TCML] Clarification sought on transformers

In a message dated 2/19/08 6:56:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
evp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

4) If  you shake it, it should not rattle. Slightly chipped insulators are
probably OK, cracked ones are not."

I think Matt is  overstating this one.  I have a couple of NST's I picked out
of the  bushes by a freeway on ramp.  Obviously had fallen off the back of a
flatbed truck and bounced across the pavement on the insulators, not much of
which remained and I removed them completely.  I replaced them with  plastic
ones and the transformers have worked fine for years.   I wouldn't pick ones
with beat up insulators if better were  available but don't look down your nose
at them if that's all you can  find.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I agree with you that they are repairable, but I would not recommend
insulator replacement as a newbie activity on a first coil, especially since  Steve
indicated he would have access to a neon shop's old stock. In the context  of
what was asked and by whom, I still consider it a good rule of thumb YOMV.  ;^)

Matt D.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)