Re: [TCML] Clarification sought on transformers

Yes, I agree. I've had a 1/2 cracked off insulator where epoxy did the trick. The transformer itself was fine. Cracked insulators occur from many different type of stresses. The transformer itself may be totally perfect. Test it. If good, just repair the insulator as needed.

Bart

Scott Bogard wrote:
Bad insulators can be a sign of an abused transformer, but not necessarily. The only way to tell for sure is to test the unit, which is not always an option. Test both sides to ground.

Scott Bogard.

Ed Phillips wrote:
4) If you shake it, it should not rattle. Slightly chipped insulators are probably OK, cracked ones are not."

I think Matt is overstating this one. I have a couple of NST's I picked out of the bushes by a freeway on ramp. Obviously had fallen off the back of a flatbed truck and bounced across the pavement on the insulators, not much of which remained and I removed them completely. I replaced them with plastic ones and the transformers have worked fine for years. I wouldn't pick ones with beat up insulators if better were available but don't look down your nose at them if that's all you can find.

Ed