Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi David,

I'm musing here as I haven't built a pressurized gap.

The breakdown voltage itself of course increases with distance. Changing pressure will change the molecular density of the space between the electrodes. So, at high pressure, you can run a given gap distance at higher voltages than the same gap distance at whatever altitude would be normal atmospheric pressure. Now, if someone builds a pressurized gap using standard gap spacing (from experience with previous gaps), they might assume their firing at the same voltage when in fact it is probably higher. I'm not aware of a good comparative study between the two gap types discussed, but such a study would have to ensure identical power and firing rate.

There may be more to a pressurized gap that I haven't accounted for, but from what I can figure, the air density in the chamber is a key difference. If a multi-gap was chambered similarly, then you have the added benefit of increased thermal regulation (which is what I was mainly trying to say).

I personally love my high cfm vacuum RQ style cylinder gap using large segments, which I can run near 3 kva with just fine.

Take care,
Bart

david baehr wrote:
wouldnt just simply widening the gap a bit do the same thing ??   well, i guess I just need to try one of these gaps someday ;-)
> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:56:13 -0800> From: bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil> CC: > > Hi David,> > Increased pressure increases the breakdown voltage and the air flow of > course aids cooling. _________________________________________________________________
Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join_______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx