From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 9:31 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Hi Gary,

I'm undecided on the single segment versus multi-segment gap losses. The
only possibility of lower losses is "if" the arc resistance is lower in
a single segment gap. The voltage drop should be the same for both
assuming identical pipes diameters, surface, and total gap spacing.

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
I'm similarly skeptical about a propeller gap's quenching.  The only thing that I
can see superior quenching-wise is that the air flow over the gap may be better
than in a cylinder gap.  But if that was all you need for superior quenching, then an
air-blast gap should be the best solution of all.
I would think that a mult-segment cylinder gap is the best at actual quenching,
due to the fact that being divided into multiple small arcs, they would be easier to
cool and extinguish.  But I also believe that multi-segment gaps exhibit higher
losses (each gap represents a fixed voltage drop, and the more gaps in series, the
greater the total gap voltage drop, and loss).
The benefit of a propeller gap comes about in that it's a rotary gap.  If it's a sync
gap, it's superior because the bangs can be engineered to be consistent in size and
timing, rather than the chaotic mode inherent in static gaps.  If it's an async gap, it
may be better than a static gap if the power supply is larger than what can be
effectively handled with a static gap.
Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA