Re: [TCML] Spark gap comparisons

Hi,
    This brings up a very interesting question on the  non-linear dynamic
resistance of spark gaps, which I have never seen addressed.  If we call the
effective resistance of a gap at any instant R*, then the  instantaneous power
being dissipated across each gap(x) is Px= Ex^2/R*x, Where  Ex is the voltage
drop across gap(x). If we have 5 gaps, each 1 mm in width, is  the sum of the
R*s, (and thus the Pxs)equal to, greater than, or less than  the R* of a single 5
mm gap? Likewise, does a straight arc have the same dynamic  characteristics
as an arc blown into a "U"-shape by high pressure or vacuum? I  think not, but
can't prove it. This might be a worthwhile project for those who  have the
time, equipment, and ability to do precise, repeated  measurements.

Matt D.

In a message dated 2/24/08 11:13:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,