Re: [TCML] Tesla coil EM Gauss readings

Hi,

Of course, one has to be careful ;)  But it can certainly be done:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp2/DaveTest-82.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp2/DaveTest-83.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp2/DaveTest-84.jpg

You can't draw any arcs and have to drain or isolate the induced voltages. In this case, It sounds like he could run it without the secondary anyway since the primary coil is where all the big currents are at.

Terry

Ed Phillips wrote:

Hi,

Most Gauss meters use Hall effect sensors such as the Allegro A1321LUA-T or DK part 620-1024-ND which they are out of. But they don't work past 30kHz so not not much help.

If you have a scope, you would be best off just winding a field pickup coil yourself and using the pure physics to calculate the field through the coil that corresponds to the generated voltage (or current if shorted). A DVM would work too if its AC range had high enough bandwidth.

Terry"

OK - I think the use of the pickup coil is the best way to go. However, I'd sure be worried about bringing the DVM around a TC! Because the signals are pulsed decaying sinusoids there is a problem in interpreting any readings of the meter. If the signals are big enough a diode rectifier with capacitor across the meter would simplify matters and the actual readings could be checked by observing the peak voltages with a scope.

Ed