Re: [TCML] Tesla coil advice

Hi DC,

Are you talking about these small diameter coils or all coils? The small coils I know are not correct. Says something about size doesn't it.

Take care,
Bart

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The JAVATC figures are slightly inaccurate.  I think Bart is working on this.

I multiply the JAVATC value by 65% and then it is accurate.

Dr. Resonance

Helo all,
that 30 cm spark length was only the javatc figure, so i
know it is wrong... i'd be more than happy to get 16cm out
of this coil...
but about the transformer: has anyone had any experience
building small hv trannies?
btw, this little coil was going to be a take-anywhere,
plug-it-in-and-get-sparks sort of thing...
sorry for the late reply (been having computer problems -
corrupted os...)

ben

The coil is pretty small and small coils are far more
difficult to get  to perform than larger coils (my
experience). The Q is quite low which  doesn't help, but
there really isn't a good solution (wire size, coil  size,
turns, frequency). The 30cm spark length is likely not
going to  occur. The coil is just too small and those
spark length numbers are  based on empirical studies of
coils about 4" and larger, so don't be  surprised when the
lengths are shorter. But as far as a small coil the
design is fine. I expect optimum spark length will be
about 16cm to a  grounded target assuming the transformer
power works out as hoped.  Breakout should not be a
problem.

Dr. Resonance