[TCML] first light

Greetings All,
This evening, I just powered up my new coil for the first time. Three burned caps later, I had 3-6 inch streamers dancing on the top load. I have pictures of the coil on my site here: http://clivetech.thruhere.net (only works from 6:30 to 21:30 PST and the pictures during operation are poor at best). The secondary is quite long (thanks Miles) however, my primary is very short. It only reaches 5 inches up the secondary. I have a larger primary, however, it is very large in diameter and there is about 3 inches of room on all sides of the secondary when it is in this primary. Would switching these primaries have a large increase on performance? Additionally, when I add my topload, a toroid made from heating duct, I can see a faint arc between turns on the side of the secondary about 4 inches from the top of the primary. There are no streamers at the top when this occurs. Is this a flaw in the insulation? Can it be repaired? Finally, my cap is only 1nf as this is the only one I currently have. My power supply is 15kv@450va. Could this small cap also be a cause of the poor performance?

Thanks to all for their advice,
Clive

--
Clive Hansen