Re: [TCML] Subject: Overheated Secondary

people tend to use what is "normally" convienient and accesable ( spelling?) and proven to work in general terms. There is a plethora of solvents available to reduce the hardened materials around the cores of many NST's amougst many other things ( except that stuff in the epoxy soaked cores but thats another case and it is Toxic). We can use benzine based hydrocarbons and die of skin and lung cancer in 3 minutes ( yes I am being harsh) or we can utilize commonly known solvents which are "less" toxic/dangerous and die in 3 decades from exposure.... choose your poison carefully!

I would watch the guy from the "parts cleaner" rental unit come in and replace the cleaning fluid in our cleaning unit. He would put on thick rubber gloves, a heavy neoprene apron, and a resparator ( cant spell tonite) to do the transfer. I dont know if he did this to protect himself from what contaminates we induced into the cleaning fluid or if it was the fluid itself he was protecting himself from.... why would he do this but not explain to us the hazards of our contact with the material in the cleaner??? And what about the person who has the job of cleaning parts ALL day not been informed of the potential hazard?

too many questions

I think too much sometimes...

my opinion... if it makes your skin tingle/burn or swell or turn red, it has got to be not good for you... the body is reacting to it.... be careful on your choice of solvents when depotting an NST ( core soaked Xformer)

Scot D

bartb wrote:

Hi Marko,

You don't have to get all the residue out, just mainly access to the task at hand. Yes, mechanics use gasoline and have forever. It is dangerous like everyone says. Hard to break old habits however when you've used it as a solvent for 40+ years.

Take care,
Bart