Re: [TCML] Re: Inner tube toroid perished rubber

Ozone's not the only bad thing coils produce.
Remember, air has 78% Nitrogen and only 21% Oxygen.
Coils produce copious amounts of NOx as well as Ozone.
NOx refers to half a dozen oxides of Nitrogen. NOx
breaks down to form Nitrous and Nitric Acids.

Adam

--- Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I'd bet that it was the ozone that did it, since
> ozone rapidly attacks
> rubber. I had some large rubber bands in the same
> room with my coil -
> within a few weeks they lost flexibility and
> strength, falling into
> pieces when stretched. And, many years ago I had to
> prematurely replace
> a set of car tires, not from excessive wear, but
> because they were
> forming large networks of cracks on all the
> sidewalls. The vehicle was
> kept in the garage, adjacent to the room containing
> the coil. Steel
> tools kept in the same room developed a fine rusty
> patina, and
> blue-lined paper was bleached white after about a
> year in the same room.
> Ozone is pretty wicked stuff... :^)
<snip>