From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:00 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Ballast and ARSG

It depends on your core size.  I use a 3 x 3" core x 20 inches long wound
with 150 turns of #8 AWG.  Best to not use a PVC tube.  Wind Nomex
insulation around the core 1-2 layers, and then wind the wire directly on
the Nomex spacing between layers with cut strips of phenolic approx 1/4 x
1/4 inch.

Keeping the wire close to the core usually gives better performance.

With straight cores you do not need a variac at all (saves money).  Just
use a stout motor drive with lead screw configuration.  Start with the
core all the way in and then slowly back it out until you hit the current
you wish to operate at.  Makes variacs a thing of the past.

Dr. Resonance

> Hello Everyone
>
>    I have been reading through the archives regarding slide choke ballasts
> and have a few questions on construction. I would like the range to be
> from about 5 amps at the lowest to about 25 - 30 max . I was thinking
> of using 10 guage wire and using spacers between layers of windings and
> a fan to keep it cool. It would be wound on a pvc tube about 24" long.
>   I was wondering what size of tube to use and approx how many turns of
> wire will I need ?.
>    I am currently building my first ARSG as well . It is going good so
> far. I made a fiberglass disk using an 8 inch cake pan (wife doesn't
> know yet :o) ) fiberglass matting and polyester resin. the disk is 3/8"
> thick.  I mounted this to a flange that allows me to attach it to my
> 1725  rpm motor. I then put the disk and flange into my lathe and
> machined it till it ran true and final diameter was 6.5" . I then took
> a 10" aluminum disk 3/8" thick and cut out a 5" diameter hole in the
> center. I have bolted this to the fiberglass disk and trued and
> balanced the whole assembly , I now have a metal ring attached to a
> fiberglass insulating disk , the holes have been drilled for the brass
> electrodes in the aluminum. Stationary electrodes will both be on the
> front side of the disk. Does this setup sound ok so far ? , I will be
> adding a shield around it when it is finished as well.
>     I really enjoy reading through the archives,  and seeing all the
> different designs and ideas that everybody has. I will take some pics
> of my complete coil and the new one I am building one of these days
> and post them on my webspace.
>   Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info
>
>   Coiling in Canada
>   Mike

Dr. Resonance