Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:25 PM
Subject: [TCML] pole pig question

Hi guys,

           I am trying to test my 25KVA  pole pig.  I am not running my
coil yet. I wanted to test the system out. So this is how I have it wired:

I have a 240Vac input with a 7.8kKVA variac with a control switch.  I am
using the variac to regulate the voltage.  I have a 6.5mH choke (hand made
using 10 gauge wire) in series with the primary.  I have a .05uF (at 50KV)
capacitor connected to the HV output of the pig as a test load. One of the
HV outputs is connected to GND along with the pole pig can. My variac is in
a control box with a voltmeter and a current meter.   I have a fluke meter
across the input 240Vac of the pole pig after the ballast. Between the two volt meters I was going to check the voltage drop across the ballast see if
the it was doing it's thing.

I set the varaic at a 100V using the meter in the control box before I
switch it on to the pole pig and ballast.  When I switch it on I would
expect the voltage in my panel meter to stay the same and my fluke meter to
be slightly less because of the drop across the ballast.  I figure my load
should draw about 8 amps out of the variac.

Well when I turn the switch on the power to the pole pig and ballast, the
fluke meter is giving 110v and the meter in my  control box jumps from 100
to 110V (aprox.  It is an analog meter).

Then I decided to use my oscilloscope (I am part owner of design consulting
company and I have access to this equipment) and check the voltage before
the ballast and after. Well the voltage after the ballast went up just like
the fluke had shown.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible that the HV output is leaking back to
the primary?  What is the isolation voltage between primary and secondary?

I got this pole pig from T&R electric. It was actually a gift from a bunch
of friends/fellow coilers).  It is supposed to be new/reconditions and
checked by them.