Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] plastic cap

All PCI caps are rated at 3.0 x Erms value.  This info directly from the
Pres and Sr. Engr.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Marko,

I realize Plastic Capacitors of Chicago, Inc. has a pretty
big line of high voltage capacitors. A quick view of their
products page at: http://plasticcapacitors.com/product_index.html
reveals that the "BNZ" series are obviously the most de-
sirable capacitors for Tesla service. It appears this series
is only built in small runs according to customer specifica-
tions, though. I'm sure a few of the other mass produced
varieties with the proper voltage/capacitance rating would
probably still work, though.

I have been fortunate enough to come across an unused
Plastic Capacitors BNZ 2500-104 unit that's rated at
0.1 uFd, at 25 kV(AC) at 60 hz, not "DC". From what
I've gathered, it appears that you can determine a 60 hz AC
rated capacitor's DC voltage rating by multiplying the AC
voltage rating by about 2.3. Most of the motor run or snub-
ber caps that have a dual AC/DC (not the Australian rock
band) voltage rating will seem to depict this - i.e. 440 VAC
or 1000 VDC, 660 VAC or 1500 VDC. That would depict
an equivalent DC rating of my "BNZ" cap at nearly 57 kV
(DC).

As a side note, a quick view of Plastic Capacitors' home
page, http://plasticcapacitors.com/, also reveals that they
actually have a "Tesla coil capacitors" icon, although this
icon appears to be inactive.

David Rieben