Re: [TCML] Spark dynamics on Jacobs Ladder

Hi,

I'm fairly shure, Bert and Antonio to be right: probably it's dominantly electrostatic force. We had a similar thread: see the archives, searching "Jacobsladder-Oscillator", especially:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2007/Mar/msg00472.html

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2007/Mar/msg00635.html

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2007/Mar/msg00717.html

The movies of the experiment:
http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/InductionCoils/P1000671.MOV
http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/InductionCoils/P1000678.MOV

Best regards
Kurt

Lau, Gary wrote:
I hope this isn't viewed as too off-topic - I'll argue that the same
physics apply to TC sparks ;-)

I was giving a demonstration of various HV toys to a 4th grade class
yesterday.  Among the devices was a Jacobs ladder, powered by a 15/30
NST.  The two 1/8" x 3 ft steel electrodes appeared to have been
excited into a mechanical oscillation, bouncing towards and away from
each other, at very roughly ~ 1Hz.  One of the students asked my why
they were moving, and I had to admit that I didn't know the source of
the force that was moving them.

The period of the oscillation was much faster than the arc travel
time up the electrodes.  It's clear that the period was that of the
free-standing rods, and that the exciting force between them varies
as a function of their separation, but I don't see the source of the
attraction or repulsion between them.  Any theories?

Thanks,
Gary Lau
MA, USA