Re: [TCML] Eager to learn: Tuning - Debugging of built Coil System

The JAVATC does the design, and is accurate as is.

I do initial resonance tuning at 40% power with a variac.

Then, I experiment with sec coil elevation to see what effect coeff. of
coupling has on performance.  I usually see max performance with slightly
looser coupling than JAVATC indicates is optimum, ie, I get longer sparks.
I usually set k values for 0.10 to 0.14 with 0.12 usually being optimum for
most my coil setups.  I use the "heater element" method of checking the
coupling, usually putting the heating element in a bucket of water.  I set
current with a variac for 10 Amps and then check sec output milliVolts to do
calculations.  This is posted in the archives.

also, it is very important to use a large dia sec coil even for NST systems,
e.g., 6 to 10 inch dia sec coils.  The voltage goes up as a function of L x
dI/dt and L is determined by square of the coil's radius, so larger is
always better.  It also goes up as a function of turns, but more turns
equals more resistance and Q drops.  I usually go for 1200 to 1400 maximum.
Someone else once posted doing experiments and he found 1,000 turns
optimum.  I usually shoot for 1200 to 1400 with a small coil and 1,000 even
with a large coil, e.g., 18 to 32 inch dia secondaries.

Many happy sparks,

Dr. Resonance