Re: [TCML] I think I ruined my 6" secondary.

Hey Adam...

a bit more detail on my coil...

the secondary form is a 12.25 OD X .300" wall thickness shipping tube approx 60" O.A.L.
I sanded the outer and inner surface areas and "primed" with Behr 50.
I used my lathe to apply an 18ga. double Formvar magnet wire. I also added 10" of #10 THHN solid copper at the bottom of the coil for current reasons. Next I applied 2 coats of Behr 50 in 48 hrs with the secondary still on the lathe at 5 rpm ( let the 1st coat dry for 24 hrs) applied 2nd coat next day and let dry for 24 more hrs.

removed secondary from lathe and recoated inner form with Behr 50, put back on lathe for 24 hrs.

From what I remember, the "elasticity" of the coating remained for about 3-4 yrs. Eventually it became "stiffer" over the next couple of years, but still quite durable against scratching. In the last 2 yrs or so it has evolved into a semiflexible coating ( not brittle) but the wire under the coating seems to have an easier time releasing itself from the Behr 50 when subjected to impacts ( generally falling over and hitting something). The spots of wire release seem to average about 2" in dia. at impact point.

I have run the coil at full power from my 30KV polepiggie at 65A ( 280VAC into pig @ 65A) and have no problem with arcing in the seperated areas ( must be the double formvar coating :) )

As far as storage... it resides in my workshop... no A/C just the temps that nature provides ( 20 - 105 F and 1 nasty hurricaine) since 2000 AD :)

Scot D