RE: [TCML] My last question on caps. I swear. (maybe)

Hi Nicholas,

The question of AC vs. DC voltage ratings for caps always generates confusion and controversy.  You are correct that the caps have an "official" AC voltage rating of typically 300-500VAC.  This voltage is called the "corona inception voltage" by the manufacturer.  If an AC voltage exceeding that value is applied to a single cap, some corona may be generated within the cap, and this will slowly degrade the dielectric until a failure occurs.  Now the manufacturer is aware that industrial users will want to use their caps 24/7 at the worst possible temperature, humidity, and environmental conditions.  So the manufacturer is saying that one may run a cap continuously at 500VAC and it will last some very long time that commercial users find acceptable.  If a higher AC voltage is applied, then the expected life goes down.

As hobbyists, our needs are much less demanding.  We typically use our coils for no more than a few minutes at a time, probably less than a couple of hours total per year.  So we typically (and arbitrarily) choose a cap's rated DC voltage to match or exceed the peak AC voltage of our transformer (9000x1.414=12.7KV in your case), and over-voltage capacitor failures in MMC's among hobbyists are practically unheard of.  If a coil was intended to be used extensively, say in a museum, then a more conservative rating would be justified.  But the cost of an MMC rises exponentially as the voltage rating rises, so the folks who buy and build MMC's will typically believe in using a lower voltage rating than those that sell the caps.

Terry Fritz performed an excellent experiment to determine the approximate expected lifetime of CDE caps exposed to continuous 2000V peak AC voltage.  The answer came out to about 75 hours.  Full details at http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2005/Sep/msg00917.html

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA