RE: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

It's more typical that folks use two toriods.  Typically we start off with a small-ish single toroid, then come to learn that performance is likely to improve with a bigger top load, so we build a second, larger one, and use both together simply because we can.

But there are better reasons to do this.  If one can raise the main toroid as high as possible, it gets it further away from the primary and may permit a longer strike distance to occur.  And more importantly, I have found that racing sparks are less likely with a high-mounted topload.  But if you just have a single large toroid and move it too far away from the secondary, it looses its ability to shield the top of the secondary, and corona from the top of the secondary will result.

Having one smaller toroid just above the secondary for corona shielding, and a larger one (or more) elevated above that as the main top load is the best geometry, IMO.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA