Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

Performance is size and power. Your speaking of size here.

If you take a toroid, duplicate it, and set the 2nd toroid on top of the 1std, it is equivalent to a single toroid that is only 25% larger in both the minor and major diameters. If you built a toroid that was twice as large in both minor and major diameters, you would attain double the capacitance that you would get for the 2 original toroids stacked.

A single toroid of larger size is better for an increase in top capacitance for surface area used. But for performance, both a single or dual stack can be useful. A dual-stack can help increase C without increasing the breakout voltage as the radius of curvature hasn't changed. So this works well with some coils and the power and voltage supplied. I personally prefer a single toroid sized at the edge of breakout for a coil (minor diameter) and large enough to add a heavy C to the coil at the top load portion.

Javatc is a perfect tool for looking at all these scenarios to the nth degree. However, it won't tell you which will "perform" better. For performance, experienced coilers are the knowledge base to tap. In my experience, larger single toroids are better, but my dual-stack tries are limited. Although I personally haven't had any great success with dual-stack toroids, other coilers have.

A dual stack is sometimes just easier to construct than a larger toroid. And that plays a role in the choice.

Take care,
Bart

Phillip Slawinski wrote:
Does one obtain better results from a large toroid than stacked toroids?  In
other words, if I took two toploads of equal capacitance one being a single
large diameter toroid, and the other being two stacked toroids, am I likely
to get better performance from the large toroid, or the same from both?