RE: [TCML] Power Factor Correction

Hi Phillip,

30uF for a 15/120 NST sounds low by at least a factor of 10.  Was this determined using a Jacobs ladder for a load?  I don't think that represents a correct load for determining PFC caps.

Having the wrong PFC cap value cannot affect the current through the NST primary, or be responsible for the bubbling asphalt you cited.  You're applying the same 120VAC to the primary winding, and the primary has no awareness of the presence of a PFC cap.  Having too large a PFC cap CAN cause too much current being drawn from the wall socket, but the excess current would be going through the PFC cap, and it would be reactive current, so nothing gets hot except the wiring.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA