Re: [TCML] pole pig ballasting

Yes, you can safely run a 28 Amp 240 vac variac up to 200% for under 45 sec
per run.

Ideally, a laminated iron core measuring approx 2.5 x 3.5 or 3 x 3 inches
will allow you to wind a nice 100 to 130 turn reactor that will do the job.
Use very large wire on the reactor as the peak currents are higher than the
average.  I use 8 AWG at 30-40 Amps and 4 AWG above 50-60 Amps.

If you run approx 250 turns on your reactor, then you don't need the
variac.  I fix up a lead screw that allows you to crank the core in and out
until you hit the current you require.  I use a small 60 RPM surplus
gearmotor with a lead screw (threaded rod thru 1" thick steel block) to run
my core in and out on my test reactor.  If you wind with 4 AWG you can pull
out the core for up to 85-90 Amps.  Forget using the variac with a pole xmfr
system --- they are becoming relics.

Jack King in SLC, Utah, has some old cores you can pick up at a reasonable
cost.

Dr. Resonance