Re: [TCML] NST quick question

Hello Amir,

The filter attenuates high frequency transients that can cause winding damage to the NST. Even in oil these problems can occur within the densely packed windings. The oil is good for heat dissipation and corona prevention, but excessively high voltages and hv transients will not be stopped by the oil from damaging the NST. Filtering is needed as well as a properly set gap.

There is no "requirement" for a Terry Filter, but it is certainly a good idea to have a filtering circuit with NST's. Given that Terry's filter circuit incorporates a safety gap, RC filter, and MOV's, it's a good filter circuit for this application.

Cheers,
Bart

Ln2guy42@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all!
I have a quick question.
Is a Terry Filter still required on an unpotted, shunts removed, NST immersed in oil? I reckon you should, but can it handle the extra current of the shunt less NST? which is around 200ma The original transformer was a 12/60 but after a few months of soaking in kerosene, it finally came out, and I took out around half the shunts. Thank you!! Amir M.

**************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today. (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)