From: DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 7/18/2008 2:34:41 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] primary material? (interview)

Bart & Gary are correct --- alum is not the best choice.  Alum can be used
for high voltage transmission lines cross country because it's resistance
is
reasonable low at the 60 Hz frequency, but at RF frequencies that Tesla
coils operate at, it's a very poor choice.  In the primary it will cause
excessive resistance at operating frequency frequencies which reduces the
overall peak currents.  Remember high peak currents in the primary (which
is
why we used pulse caps -- to get a high peak current) produce powerful
magnetic fields which encompass the secondary coil.  When this magnetic
field collapses rapidly, a high voltage pulse is produced in the sec coil.
With a weaker pri current, the sec coil will not receive as much energy
thus
producing a weaker spark --- certainly not as bright as copper.

Happy sparkin' with copper,

Dr. Resonance