Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

Phil,

C = 0.2248*k*A*(N-1)/(d*x)  (in pF)
where
k = Dielectric constant (1.0006 for  air)
A = Effective plate area in square inches (length  x width)
N = Number of conductive plates (3 for a  rolled cap)
d = individual dielectric film thickness  (.03937" in this case)
x = number of stacked sheets of  dielectric between plates (1 in
this case)

So if the effective capacitance is as 1/4 of that  of a single
turn-to-single-turn coil, using the above I calculate around 200pF. Still I bet in real
life it's much less than that!

I think Chris is looking at about 6.4nF for the ribbon primary.

If we could get that much capacitance out of reasonable ribbon primaries, we
wouldn't bother with primary tank caps!

I think Bart had a typo in the last line, it should be 1mm not 1inch for the dielectric... if it was 1" apart then it probably would be in the order of 200pF.... ( I got 268pF ) Though my primary is 1mm spaced (only running low voltage as its a solid state design) and there is 25foot of primary length 2" wide.. equates to 600 square inches in total, but slightly less will be needed to obtain 4 turns at about 22" dia.. pretty much I get tot he value of 10nF for 4 turns.

Chris