Re: [TCML] a new coil being born + PICTURES

In a message dated 7/28/08 9:24:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
supertux1@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>Here's a full shot of the ASRG on it's oak platform. It swings  eight 3/8"

>tungsten electrodes on a 10" path. The G10 disc is 3/4" thick and  it's

>inertia at full speed is awesome, the whole platform wants to move.

>I put rubber under the pillow
>blocks and the whole plaform  to deaden some of the vibrations.
>This thing is scary at full speed.

I hope you've got a shield for that!

    I run my ASRG to 4000 rpm with a VFD. I'm more  scared of the rotary gap
than I am of the electricity! I must've done a good  job on it, because it
takes *10 minutes* to coast to a stop (if I don't use  the drive to brake it).

>Here is a shot of my unfinished sliding core ballast. I found a  bunch of
zinc coated steel fender
>washers and laminated one side and stuck them all together. Not the  best
but they're magnetic so
>good deal. They fit perfectly inside of this 2" PVC pipe and slide  easily.

Your washers are going "against the grain". The  eddy currents are
unfortunately not going to be terribly mitigated, either.  It'll be interesting to see
how hot it gets.

>Here's some of the  50A 220V cables I'm going to use. TIP: Recreational
>vehicle (RV)  stores are a great supply for 50A extention cables.

That's a great tip, thanks!

>Maxwell Caps. I've had these for awhile. 100KV @ 10nF.

>I can easily short out the last capacitor for 70KV @ 15nF:

>http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/MaxCaps.JPG

I hope those outside terminals don't come too  close to all that pretty wood!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.