[TCML] Bondo and Tesla Coils...

Hey all,
I needed to make a funnel shape to mimick the hard rubber moulds used in the Kinraide Coils.  I found something finally, a chrome plated stool from the late 70s/early 80s.  I hacked it apart, coated it with PVA, and put a major dent in a can of Bondo...
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/KinraideBondo/index.htm

I don't know if anyone else has used Bondo with Tesla Coils for any reason, but it seems to work well, at least around the secondary coil.  I am hoping the next ones will turn out a bit neater, this one isn't finished yet but I couldn't resist testing it and getting some photos...

Extended Movie:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/KinraideBondo/Bondo.wmv

I used the water-cooled plate gap extensively for the movie, though my 1.25" diameter tungsten gap works much better.  Too bad 6" diameter tungsten disks aren't to be found.  Well, I doubt they could be found at a price affordable!

The sound from both the spark gap and the coil is strange.  The bondo seems to be a good insulator, and works really well with wax - some materials separate from the wax when it hardens (the original hard rubber would do this too), Bondo forms a really tight bond with it.   I coated the outside with oil-based paint, and will finish sanding and glossing a bit...It seems a lot nicer to work with than normal fibreglass.

Jeff