RE: [TCML] RE: Need assistance in diagnosing poor performance

More info

-  noted - I'll document the whole assembly tonight and put up a web page so you can take a look.
But in the meantime if there's any general tips that apply to all coils - I would welcome them.

Chris - Great tip about the fluorescent tube BTW - nice way to detect if we are on a harmonic other than the root.

Tuner -

This brings up a great point, and one that has been asked at least once on the tuner design page.

This is the procedure that I use - I leave primary and secondary in place and connect the tuner in between the secondary base and ground. Turning the knob gives me a very definite lowest brightest point on the LED, way brighter than any of the others - I leave the knob set at that position.

Then I remove the secondary coil, short out the spark gap and connect the tuner across the tank cap. I then take my primary tap and move it around the primary coil until I get the dimmest response from the led. This was at turn 11, and not between turns 8-9 as Teslamap said it should be.

At this point I have assumed that the primary is resonating at the same frequency as the secondary. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

Steve

Stephen Hobley Photography
www.stephenhobley.com
317 201 4281