From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Stephen J. Hobley
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:25 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Problems with secondary - internal arcing

I put together some images of our poorly performing coil here:

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n447/shobley1/

it is the tesla coil kit sold by Alan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tesla-Coil-Package-Complete-with-All-Items-Shown_W0Q
QitemZ130240933783QQihZ003QQcategoryZ7288QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trks
idZp1742.m153.l1262

I think I've found a problem. When I opened the secondary form there was
a massive smell of "electricity" and the inside of the coil had
undergone some arcing.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n447/shobley1/?action=view&current=_D
SC7444.jpg

So at this point I ask the question, should the secondary wires run
completely outside of the form, or is it acceptable to have a short
length inside to connect to the bolts?

The base of the form was darkened by the arcing, and there was also
evidence of a fluid, almost like oil on the lower bolt. I'm sure the
inside was completely dry when we assembled it.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n447/shobley1/?action=view&current=_D
SC7443.jpg

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n447/shobley1/?action=view&current=_D
SC7445.jpg

I've searched the internet, but cannot find any examples of how the
secondary wire should be connected.

So this is probably what's affecting the performance. The coil does not
seem damaged on the outside, just the inside of the tube.

I will clean out the inside tonight trim the wires down so that they are
as short as possible.

Steve