Re: [TCML] phillips question about wax and more

That's one reason very old transformers are more likely to fail. The
shrinking asphalt can leave voids or damage the fragile secondary windings.  If your
transformer with the different smell had an internal short, it  might add a
burned smell to the asphalt, or it may smell different because  a lot of the
volatile compounds may have evaporated or dried out.

Tony G

Interesting.  The last transformer I depotted was built in 1982  which
would explain the cracks in the potting material, and why it was  so
stubborn about coming out.  I'm still not sure why the old  transformer
had a completely different smell than the newer one.