Re: [TCML] Dismal streamers

You certainly have some losses somewhere. The coil parameters look ok. Coupling is a little high at 0.142. I suspect about 7.3 turns is where the tap would be set with your coil. It sounds to me like you are having losses somewhere and normally the spark gap is the cause. Due to the large cap size and 8.75kVrms at 60mA charge if using a static gap, the total gap width would need to be narrow and likely in the range of 0.15" to 0.2" (depending on electrode size). The gap is the area I would focus on first in this situation. Certainly inspect all coil parts for any carbon tracks as they can rob you of power. When running in total darkness, look for any glowing areas and any arcing or corona in the wiring. Pay attention to the base of the secondary. High coupling can cause excessive currents in the lower portion of the secondary which can lead to a shorted turn. Easy to find. I personally would suggest raising the secondary 3/8" up to put k at 0.13 (just to get that out of the way for the future). And of course, check the secondary for a small dark spot between turns. Shorted turns will suck the life out of coils. But as I mentioned, spark gaps are notorious for the "great loss giant", so if the visual inspections show nothing obvious, likely that is the problem.

BTW, although you may never achieve the highly efficient 40" streamers, you should certainly be hitting at least 30" to 35". 8" streamers are a sign of big losses.

Take care,
Bart

CajunCoiler wrote:
Ok, I'm at a loss for ideas as to what else could be causing the dismal
streamers
that I'm getting. from my 3.5" coil.  The gap is set, transformers are
functional,
the numbers all add up.  Yet, I'm getting only 8 inches of streamer, out of the
projected 39.5.  Anyone else got any ideas?  Keep in mind, my funding, and
work area are limited.

Parameters: http://www.msbdatasystems.com/cajuncoiler/kongjr.txt

Some video will be posted shortly...URL to be provided, then.
--
Rev. C.L. Mayeux
Owner, MSB Data Systems