[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

If I am not mistaken, 100 mA is the amount that causes you to lose
muscle control and not be able to let go. Also, the worst path is from
the left hand to the right foot, it has the greatest chance of passing
through the heart and causing cardiac arrest.

"A low-voltage (110 to 220 V), 50 or 60-Hz AC current travelling through
the chest for a fraction of a second may induce ventricular fibrillation
at currents as low as 60mA. With DC, 300 to 500 mA is required. If the
current has a direct pathway to the heart (e.g., via a cardiac catheter
or other kind of electrode), a much lower current of less than 1 mA, (AC
or DC) can cause fibrillation. Fibrillations are usually lethal because
all the heart muscle cells move independently. Above 200mA, muscle
contractions are so strong that the heart muscles cannot move at all."

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of DC Cox
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:55 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

It is almost totally dependant on how the shock is received. In
the path of charge transfer.

>From hand to hand, so the current flows directly across the thoracic
and the chances of death increase dramatically.

>From right hand to right foot, less chance.

>From left hand to left foot, increased chances as the heart is in the

Conact time period also enters into the equation.

Worst case, with alternating current, is the muscles spasm which
does not allow one to "let go" of the circuit.

Certainly, no simple answers.   Pole xmfrs, PTs, and 120 mA NSTs,
across the chest, hand to hand, usually result in death but not always.

Always unplug the unit before making any primary tuning adjustments.
trust your life to a switch or relay.

Dr. Resonance

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:19 AM, G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

> > a 12-15Kv 30mA unit would be a standard choice. ( if you
> > get shocked by
> > this transformer there is a chance you will live, anything
> > larger and
> > the chance drops to 0).
> > Scot D
> I strongly disagree.  It's inaccurate to declare that any shock over
> gives zero chance of survival.  Were that true, I probably would have
> two or three times by now.  I'm sure several of my fellow list members
> recall painful, but nonlethal incidents in their professional and/or
> endeavors.
> I'm not a physician, but I do teach basic electronics using
> prepared materials.  According to USAF doctrine, the lethality of an
> electric shock is determined by numerous variables including the part
of the
> body that receives the shock, the age and physical condition of the
> the duration of the shock, the amount of current, and the promptness
> emergency medical treatment.
> Under tragically ideal conditions, 120vac might kill an unfortunate
> homeowner, while a power line worker who gets his hands blown off by
> with a 66kv line survives.  I have survived very uncomfortable shocks
> 115vac/400Hz aircraft current, as well as fierce "bites" from NSTs,
> the national news outlets report several Taser (only 2-7mA) fatalities
> year.  Likewise, how often have we read about a lucky golfer who
survives a
> lightning strike with nothing worse than a painful flash burn!
> Except under carefully staged conditions, (like an electric chair!), a
> electric shock is a crapshoot, with the odds tipped strongly in favor
> survival.  I know many people who have been shocked, but I don't know
> who has died of electrocution in my professional, social, or family
> I'm all for preaching safety, but the dangers shouldn't be overstated
> more than they should be understated.
> Cheers,
> Greg
> _______________________________________________
> Tesla mailing list
> Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla
Tesla mailing list
Tesla mailing list