RE: [TCML] re-pot

I'm not sure that soaking in a solvent alone will work in any reasonable period of time.  It will certainly create a LOT of hazardous and difficult-to-dispose-of-legally waste.  Please do so responsibly.

I fully agree that smacking with a hammer is not a useful tactic!

I don't know if it's too late now, but I think the correct approach is to heat the unit, in its original metal case, in a covered barbecue.  It will take several hours and it won't smell good, especially if it's saturated in kerosene.  Of course, keep it in an aluminum pan to catch the outflow.  How much asphalt is left, if you're breaking the secondary wires?

Gary Lau
MA, USA