From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of DC Cox
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:15 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Chokes and Terry filters

Certainly no new science in using RF chokes to stretch waveforms across the
time dimension.  It's been in ham radio books since the 1915 era.

A series inductance serves to limit the peak current in a waveform.  As the
rapid risetime in current increases with a typical 250 kHZ coil, the current
traveling thru the inductor MUST produce a magnetic field which tends to
delay/resist the flow of peak current in a circuit.  This stretches out the
pulse risetime and "chokes" off the rapid pulse by stretching it in time
(x-axis).

This procedure is very common with Marx Impulse Lightning Generators in
which engineers want to slow down the rapid rise time of a capacitor
discharge.  Any resistor or inductor this effect ---  that's why companies
such as Resonance Research Corp and HiPotronics use resistors and inductors
in Marx generators -- they slow the rapid nanosecond risetime of energy
discharge caps down to a typical 1.5-50 waveform (1.5 uS with 50 uSec decay
time) and 200-2000 uS switching surge risetime.

In a Tesla coil circuit the rapid oscillations (typical 200-250 KHZ) must be
retarded BEFORE they can reach the xmfr windings.  Terry filters work well,
however, for over 50 years I have always just used a nice air core choke to
produce the same effects.  Now, I use both a Terry filter and a pair of air
core chokes to slow down rapid transient risetimes which can be destructive
if reflected back into the xmfr windings.

In over 50 years of which 40 of them I just used an air core choke, I've
never lost a NST.  That speaks for itself.

I have the empirical data to support my claims but unfortunately, due to
business time constraints, just don't have time to type it all up.

Dr. Resonance