Re: [TCML] Information confirmation

comments after each ...

daniel lee wrote:

I've been talking theory with my coworkers and i want to confirm some info;

theory is kewl but not practical    never seems to work out for some reason

1. Magnet wire is single strand and is insulated by enamel, but is otherwise
the same as more common materials.

what do you consider "more common materials"? Air is a pretty commom material at sea level ;)

2. Magnet wire can be acquired by cannibalizing transformers, motors, and
the like.

yes it can but the integrity of the insulation is often compromised

3. It is possible to construct a Tesla coil using normal single strand wire,
only the size of the secondary will change due to larger insulation.  Maybe
use Teflon insulation for better heat tolerance.
you can use single strand wire with thicker insulation and yes to obtain the same # of windings the secondary needs to be taller I would stay away from exotic insulatiuon ( such as teflon due to the cost) unless its free ( most of the teflon coated stuff Ive seen is also silver coated copper, mostly MilSpec stuff).

Also, a random stupid question:  could a Tesla coil be powered by a voltage
multiplier instead of a transformer?  Why or why not?
If it charges the cap I suppose so but the charge time would be excessively long I suppose once again cuz I really dont know

Thanks for the knowledge,
Daniel