Re: [TCML] Information confirmation

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, daniel lee <leedanieljoseph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: daniel lee <leedanieljoseph@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [TCML] Information confirmation
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 2:18 PM
> I've been talking theory with my coworkers and i want to
> confirm some info;
>

> 1. Magnet wire is single strand and is insulated by enamel,
> but is otherwise
> the same as more common materials.

Magnet wire is a single strand of copper (or sometimes aluminum) coated with a very thin layer of insulating enamel.  It is a very common industrial material used in the fabrication of transformers, speakers, relays, motors, generators, alternators, lamp ballasts, CRT yokes, etc., etc...  I consider it one of the LEGO blocks of our civilization.

> 2. Magnet wire can be acquired by cannibalizing
> transformers, motors, and
> the like.

True, but this can be an iffy proposition.  Many magnet wire coils are coated with varnish and/or "baked" after winding to make the coil hold its shape and stay tight for keeps.  Unwinding such a coil can cause the insulation to flake off, especially if it has been degraded by age and heat.  If I'm going to put my time and effort into a TC secondary, I'm only going to use new, spooled wire.

> 3. It is possible to construct a Tesla coil using normal
> single strand wire,
> only the size of the secondary will change due to larger
> insulation. Maybe
> use Teflon insulation for better heat tolerance.

Sure.  You can use plastic insulated single or multistrand wire.  The turns-per-inch (and inductance) will be lots lower than magnet wire, however.  As a consequence, the resonant frequency of said secondary will be higher.

> Also, a random stupid question: could a Tesla coil be
> powered by a voltage
> multiplier instead of a transformer? Why or why not?

Any high voltage current source capable of charging the tank cap can be used as a TC power supply--at least in theory.  I once saw a design in a magazine that used the rectified output of a car ignition coil to power a medium-sized TC in sort of a rapid-fire single shot mode.  Instead of the familiar "BRRAAATTTTT" of a roaring spark gap coil, it was more of a "SNAP!...SNAP!...SNAP!..."  Really though, Tesla coils are current hogs.  They need lots of milliamps to produce a satisfying display.  A hobby-grade transformer-less multiplier is unlikely to produce adequate current.  For a first effort, go with an NST power supply.  It's lots easier that way and you're more likely to get good results.

Cheers,

Greg