Re: [TCML] Where to mount the HV Transformer? Under the coil or otherwise ?

I read the coax idea off of this site:

http://www.pupman.com/safety.htm

Somewhere in there it says this:

"The transmission line between your high voltage transformer and your tesla coil is another potential source of electrocution. This should be constructed using neon sign wiring (rated to 40 kV) or thick coaxial cable like RG-8A/U or RG-11A/U. If using coaxial cable, use the inner conductor for the high voltage, and strip back the outer braid about 6-12 inches from each end. Connect one end of the braid to your RF ground. Leave the other end unconnected so it does not form a current loop. Some coilers also place their high voltage cables inside a plastic conduit, which is laid on the floor. This also protects the cable somewhat from strikes."

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience doing it that way.
This is basically the 50 and 75 ohm impedance cable that you can get anywhere. They have a thick PTFE insulation between the core conductor and the braid which I think would be ideal for isolation. The braid being a nice additional safety feature.

On the other hand... just don't know.

It would be interesting to see just how much voltage it takes to pop one of those cables.