RE: [TCML] Variac

I think this thread was originally about whether one should gradually increase the voltage to the NST (ramping), as opposed to going from 0 to 100% with the flick of a switch. Is that what you're talking about, or are you concerned with the ~20V boost above nominal that the Variac provides?

I would hope that the NST insulation wouldn't have that tight a margin that a 17% increase would be a problem, but I guess I shouldn't underestimate an industry's determination to cut corners.  I know that most coilers take advantage of the boost.  Whether that puts us at a greater risk is unknown.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA