RE: [TCML] Variac

I can see how just throwing the switch on (without ramping up a Variac) would be more stressful to the power switch or mains circuit breaker, but I don't understand which other components would be stressed.  The NST?  Cap?  What else is there?  If they are, let's discuss it.  If they are not, let's stop saying this, or add appropriate qualifiers if needed.

Gary Lau (who still uses a Variac)
MA, USA