Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] LTR/STR and spark length

Hi David,

A wide gap increases the voltage to arc the gap (do not doubt this), but it doesn't mean that the larger bang energy will run more efficiently across the gap. The gaps ability to process that energy with low losses is what makes it "good" or "not". Opening the gap is usually a start to destruction in my opinion. However, if the gap runs hot, the arc voltage is simply lower and they get away with doing it (meaning not killing the transformer or cap), but since the arc voltage is lower due to a lower voltage, no bang energy increase (expect maybe at the first few sparks).

If the gap is adequately design to handle the power, then opening the spark gap would certainly develop a large bang size and increase spark length (up until the transformer or cap died which could be seconds or several minutes of run time).

Temperature, bang energy, and geometry are very important in my opinion with regards to a static gap of any type (and they are interrelated).

Take care,
Bart

david baehr wrote:
I run a static gap on my coil, and find that the widest gap isnt allways the best performing........heck, I dunno !!!

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:41:43 -0800> From: bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] LTR/STR and spark length> CC: > > Self correction:> > Meant to say "as the gap "voltage" drops due to heat........> > Bart> > > bartb wrote:> > as the gap temp drops due to heat, the numbers for gap spacing get > > wider and coilers thus do get away with a larger gap space.> _____