RE: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

Hi Bart,

I don't believe that I have misinterpreted Terry's measurement. His measurement is consistent with mine, based on the current through my light bulb.  His post is at http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2000/July/msg00478.html and is very clear:

> The secondary RMS current is around 350mA for a 15/60 coil.  At least it
>is for my big LTR coil but say 100-400mA should cover them all...

I can't check the paper he wrote just now (a firewall issue at work);  I'll look at that this evening.  If you're looking at waveforms, maybe you're talking about peak currents?  Different storey there!

Critical to this discussion are the answers to my questions of your measurements -
1) What size/power the coil are you talking about? and
2) Are you talking about peak current or RMS current?

> As of recent, I've been looking to predict secondary base current as it
> is directly related to output potential (something I'm looking to add in
> Javatc)

Is RMS base current correlated with output potential?  In a given coil, if you always had the same size bangs, the output potential would be the same from bang to bang regardless of BPS, but if you double the BPS, you would double (I think???  Certainly increase...) the RMS base current.

> Ibase(rms) = (Transformer rms output voltage x
> sqrt(Sec_Les/Pri_Ldc))/Sec_Reactance
> I've also checked the above equation against Ibase(rms) = 0.707 * (sqrt(
> 2 * E_bang / Lee)) and it seems to follow well.

This sounds wrong to me.  Since you are talking about RMS current, the bang duty cycle or BPS directly affects RMS current, but doesn't appear in your equations.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA