RE: [TCML] racing arcs

Hi Dan,

Regarding your racing sparks with the sync RSG -

> As I advanced the SRSG, the sparks grew & increased until I
> reached a point where I developed racing sparks. Back off a couple of
> degrees and everything was fine. One of the list gurus explained to me
> that by changing the point on the sine wave where the RSG fires also
> changes the inductance of my NST secondary thus changing the tune of the
> entire system.

That doesn't make sense.  The inductance of the NST secondary in no way affects the resonance of the TC primary or secondary, and I can see no way for the NST secondary inductance to vary, based on timing of the gap.

I think what happened is one of two things.  As you delay the SRSG timing, the bang occurs later in the charging cycle, so the bang-voltage increases and performance increases.  Any secondary is only good for a certain bang-size, so it's possible that you may have increased the bang voltage beyond that point.  But more likely, SRSG's have a strange mode of behavior, where if you advance the timing too far, the gap misses firing at a presentation.  But the energy in the cap is not lost just because the gap wasn't quite ready.  That energy is saved in the form of current in the NST secondary inductor, and in the next charging cycle, the energy from the missed bang is added to the energy in that charging cycle, resulting in a MUCH higher voltage bang at the next presentation, and this is what will cause the racing sparks.  Just back off a little on the RSG timing and that fixes it.  SRSG timing is VERY critical, so having a live, variable RSG timing adjustment is really good to have.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA