Re: [TCML] BPS Testing

In a message dated 3/11/08 8:49:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>When I was using a static gap, I ALWAYS ran with 140VAC.  If  the knob goes
up to 11, why stop at
>10?

Sounds like something from "This is Spinal Tap".  :)

>Beyond that, I seem to have been blessed with a 15/60 that's  endowed with
super-NST
>powers.
<snip>
>This must be why I'm able to use larger than typical cap values  (.02uF w/
static, .04uF w/ SRSG).

Well, that certainly makes *me* feel better! I've  been trying to duplicate
your results, and with just one unmodified 15/60  Franceformer I got a lot of
heartburn running a .04uF cap on a 120BPS SRSG. I  always had to add a 15/30 to
get it to halfway work!
    You mention on your Website that you bought  your NST used, and had to
re-pot it. You also mention that the shunts  were impossible to remove (I know
what you mean, I've got a bad 15/30  Jefferson with a one-piece core).  But you
*don't* mention on  your Website what brand of 15/60 NST you've got! What is
this wondrous  thing?

>The mains current, even with PFC caps, was close to 20  Amps.

How much of that is reactive current?

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities