From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jeff Behary
Sent: 12 March 2008 21:37
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] 5" Sparks - Approx 35 watts input power: Tesla was
correct!

John,
My point of this was a while back when everyone was getting fed up with the
"wireless transmission" posts.My argument was in general to try and recreate
some of Tesla's work that is achievable - like anefficient table top coil as
those Tesla made in the 1890s.  There was a lot of neat patents and
conceptsthat came from that period, and all of them are "on topic" and
relating to "Tesla Coil" construction.

The result was more or less a bombarding of posts regarding how authentic
Tesla's statements were,suggesting the claims were exaggerated/etc.
Several people mentioned ignition or induction coils withthose efficiencies,
which I agree are completely possible, but I am interested in Tesla
Coils,resonant circuits with high efficiencies.  Something like we normally
build, but low power.I know with your brilliant work in modern Tesla Coil
circuitry that for sure these claims are easilyobtained if Tesla could do it
with archaic technology.  I would love to see it though from someone,because
I think it may offer some interesting designs and creativity.
Its an unusual request to group of people normally making huge sparks.  The
35 watts is irrelevant to me, I was hoping just to see some responses of low
power (less than 75 watts) and efficient Tesla Coils (4 - 6" sparks?) made
by people on the list.  As much as there is a fine art in making huge
sparks, I think thereis an equal opportunity of creativity in making
smaller, more efficient machines too.  Surely something can belearned from
it...?

Jeff Behary> > Peter, Jeff,> > I agree with what Peter says below. Also I
don't understand why anyone> would consider it difficult to produce a 6"
spark using 35 watts even for a > normal> type of tesla coil (non-kicker
type). Using my formula:> > spark length inches = 1.7* sqrt input watts
(wallplug)> > gives a result of 10" for 35 watts. However small coils seem
to give shorter> sparks than the formula suggests, so perhaps the spark
would be about > 6" or 7" long.> > Cheers,> John>