Re: [TCML] Safety question - switching off

Hey Steve,

actually unplugging the system from its electrical source is the first step in safety, it depends on how you have your caps wired in your system. Some prefer to have the cap(s) in parallel with the hi volt transformer ( which will in effect eventually draw the power off of the caps due to the secondary of the transformer acting as a resistor shorting the cap). Then there is the other way in which the cap is in series with the primary ( but is still attached to the hi volt side of the transformer but thru the primary coil and tap) this will eventually bleed down the cap also but only if the primary tap is connected to the primary. If the primary tap comes loose during operation, it charges the cap and then has no way to dissapate its charge unless shorted at the cap ( and usually with a bang).

I prefer running my cap in parallel with the hi volt side of the transformer and giving it about 30 -45 seconds after turning the system off to reduce the charge in the cap.

And there is the other choice, throw a steak on the system to check if it is still charged, if it is, after several tries you have dinner. :)

Scot D

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:

When you switch a coil off, how do you ensure that everything is completely discharged before touching the components?

Steve

(As you can tell I'm getting really close to starting construction)